Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Selecting a Major


For students entering college, selecting a major is a crucial aspect of their college preparation.  What type of job can I get? How much money will I make? From an early age, children are asked what they would like to be when they grow up.  Most answers change as the child grows and matures.  Once students enter the latter years of their secondary education, this question begins to have more importance.

During my time as an undergraduate, I have come to the realization that a degree in a particular field does not confine you to one occupation until you reach retirement.  An undergraduate degree is simply a stepping-stone in my development as a working professional.

I am eager to begin my career working with special needs students, as they grow in their academics, life skills, and confidence in their unique abilities.  Teaching is an occupation that will always be needed, wherever you go.  Having a foundation in a skill that I can always return to brings me a great deal of confidence and assurance.

Working in real estate has also sparked my interest! What about starting my own dance company? Is opening a restaurant a profitable endeavor? 

Who knows what the future may hold, but I know that I will have the knowledge and will to make it happen.


Have troubling honing in on your interests, possible majors, and career paths?  Take a career quiz from the Princeton Review!
 Clock Tower at the University of Otago

1 comment:

  1. Great attitude to have! The college degree almost has become the new h.s. diploma -- a credential that qualifies the holder for all sorts of jobs. As a SPED major, you're learning to balance substantial paperwork with legal requirements, the needs of students and parents, AND instruction in academics and life skills.

    ReplyDelete